Sunday, April 10, 2011

1950s Rise & Shine Apron

Hello! It's been awhile (well, only a week). Anyway, thought I'd share this apron I made over a year ago that I included in this week's apron challenge at the Sew Weekly. Kind of cheating, but at least I admitted it was from last year!

Whoa, bright day / bright photo


The pattern is Kwik Sew 3547 and I used this "1950s Kitchen" fabric from Michael Miller. The pockets, yoke and apron are accented with red bias trim for a little zing. I placed the cuckoo clock at the center of the yoke as a kind of "time to eat!" reference. This pattern is super easy to put together, and makes for a great gift! I think it only uses 1 1/2 yards of fabric and it's nice to pull out a piece of fabric that you wouldn't normally wear otherwise. In the photo above I'm holding a tea canister I picked up from the Pasadena Flea Market when I lived in Los Angeles. It's from the 1950s and is brushed aluminum - I almost have the entire set! I see them all the time on eBay.


The two little pockets are handy for little items, though admittedly I don't stick things like a whisk in it when I remember to use it for cooking. Sometimes I think an apron like this would also be useful for those times I eat pasta and the tomato sauce always seems to find a way to my shirt (even if just a little speck, gah, clumsy!).


In other news...

  • I finally put a project up on BurdaStyle - my trousers from the last post. I wore them to Cirque du Soleil last weekend - it's always satisfying to wear something you just finished, don't you think? And, thanks to the Sew Weekly ladies for the special mention in the weekly newsletter! It was a fun surprise when I opened the email :)
  • The Colette Sencha Blouse:  hmmm, though I've seen pretty versions, I'm not so sure about this pattern on me after making a muslin of view 3 (the one with the keyhole opening). Maybe I'll feel better about it after lowering the neckline, as I've seen others do because of the "choking" feel. I tend to prefer v-necks or scoop necks, basically anything that's not a turtleneck (ick!), but I thought the keyhole version would be a nice option for me. Rather than dwell on something that I'm feeling so-so about, I've put this blouse to the side for now. 

Off to cook some cabbage soup with my handy apron, have a good one!

5 comments:

  1. I love this fabric - the cuckoo clock right in front is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg! Too bad the clock isn't functional ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I did a double-take when I saw your fabric (I came here from Sew Retro) because I made curtains for my mom's kitchen out of the same fabric, trimmed in red pom-poms. :) We like the happy smiling stove a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, how neat! I've been seeing a lot of this fabric lately (they would be so cute as curtains). I'm so glad someone else noticed the smiling stove hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that print is just.. perfect. Heh.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!